2012 Blak Rose Archery Practice

Postby Tuathflaith » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:44 pm

June 7, 2012 Announcements

The weather looks good for archery practice on June 7. There is a chance of thunderstorms, but we have an active social planned. Even if we have rain there will be something to do. And between showers we can put up animal targets to shoot at.

The social and practice starts at 5:30 and goes to 8:00 PM. See the Blak Rose Yahoo Group for more information on food planning for June 7.
Tuathflaith

Re: 2012 Blak Rose Archery Practice

Postby Tuathflaith » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:18 pm

Announcements for June 14, 2012:

Dare I say that the weather looks good for archery practice this week? (Duck and cover!) In my defense, last week I DID point out that there could be thunderstorms.

As it stands, I expect to have the targets up for royal rounds this week. As usual, 5:30 - 8:00 PM.

Also, I personally put up $60.00 towards a "real" archery target if other Blak Rose archers would put in to match that, and when I announced that another archer immediatly matched my $60. So we have $120 pledged toward one nice target. It seems that they run a bit over that, plus taxes, so I am challenging other Blak Rose archers to help cover that bit extra so I don't have to ask the Shire for it. Or if another group of 2 or 3 would pitch in for a second target, that would also be great.

All donations should go to SCA, Inc. Shire of Blak Rose and as such they would be tax deductible. The Shire would purchase the targets and own them, though Clan Chleirigh will store them.

Archers outside of Blak Rose are welcome to donate if you use our field a lot, but please consider your own shire's needs first.
Tuathflaith

Postby Tuathflaith » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:45 pm

Announcements for June 21, 2012:

The weather for this week's archery has a small chance of rain and a high chance of being very hot into the evening. As usual, if rain seems imminent we will put up the small targets rather than the hay bale targets, but we will do everything possible to allow for some kind of target practice.

Please RSVP me at archery at blakrose.org if you plan to come out.

Tuathflaith
Tuathflaith

Re: 2012 Blak Rose Archery Practice

Postby Tuathflaith » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:52 pm

Announcements for June 28, 2012

Oyez, oyez all archers in and around Blak Rose:

Found, one arrow with 2 white feathers and 1 red on or around the 30 yard target. This arrow is rumored to belong to one Robert the Tall. Said arrow is being held by Clan Chleirigh and may be claimed at any Thursday night practice.
Tuathflaith

Archery Announcements for July 5, 2012

Postby Tuathflaith » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:56 am

The weather for Thursday, July 5 is to be hot and dry. Practice starts at 5:30; however, the archery ranges starts to cool off after 6:30, so if heat is something you don't tolerate well, I recommend you come out after 6:30 or bring a project to work on in the garage for the first hour.

Because the day still goes long, we can shoot until about 8:30, so starting late doesn't need to shorten your practice time if you can stay.

The Shire is trying to get a proper archey target purchased and ready for the 20 yard mark for this week.
Tuathflaith

Archery Announcements for July 12, 2012

Postby Tuathflaith » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:46 am

The weather looks bright, clear, and cooler for Thursday, July 12. Last week we introduced a Saunders mat on the 20 yard mark. This week we have a Hanwell mat for the 30. You have to come out to see what that is! If it is successful, we'll make another one.

Also of note for this week, it is Martha's 17th birthday on Thursday. We aren't having a party, but I know some of you would be annoyed with me if I didn't mention it and you found out later.
Tuathflaith

Tuathflaith's Archery Book

Postby Tuathflaith » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:56 am

The book I have been using to improve my form is Archery Shot Execution: A Total Muscle Conrol Approach by Larry Skinner (with Jim Noble). I bought this book at Lancaster Archery. It is not currently available at Amazon.
Tuathflaith

Regarding High Heat Practices

Postby Tuathflaith » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:23 am

As a group we archers discussed moving the RR targets at Clan Chleirigh to get closer to the shade in the evening. I have spent time walking around and imagining line of fire issues and I believe that the current locations of the targets are the best locations. Alana and I carefully placed those originally and I think we made the best decision.

However, heat ruins the fun. I propose this solution: We can move one target into the shade at the start of practices when the temperature is 86 or above. That seems to be the comfort level breaking point. That target would be shot parallel to the creek and during that time we would focus on various training issues, like grouping, release, form, etc. Once the heat breaks we will move the target back to its RR location and resume a normal practice session.

Other evenings I will set up the woods shoot targets. If anyone wants to make and donate wands to shoot at, we can do them, too.

I believe this is a good plan to deal with the heat while staying safe and preventing lost arrows.
Tuathflaith

Arrows Found July 12, 2012

Postby Tuathflaith » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:08 pm

Clan Chleirigh announces this week's found arrows!

One arrow lost by Joscelin, one blue feather, one white feather, one missing feather. Tip and nock intact.

One arrow from the Clan's archaeology division. Shorter arrow, rusted tip, intact red nock. Shaft has red stripes on white background. Appears to have been in ground for several months. Feathers were either missing or were stripped off during the excavation process.

All arrows may be claimed at any Clan Chleirigh hosted practice or event.
Tuathflaith

Archery Announcements for July 19, 2012

Postby Tuathflaith » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:30 pm

The weather looks iffy for this week, but as always, we'll find a way to loose arrows at something.
Tuathflaith

Next

Return to Archery